Middle English Word of the Moment

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fruitfulness!

Well, after two years of trying to reclaim back yard from couch grass and wandering jew, I now know I have a Real Vegetable Garden: I just found my first nest of earwigs in the silverbeet!

After poking at them in an irritated sort of manner with a stick, I decided to let them go free, partly because I am benevolent and seeing made me go "hooray! Thriving ecosystem and proof that my vegetables are desirable to earwigs!" and partly because I didn't have anything with which to actually kill them.

But I have about 20 enormous silverbeet plants and some nice spinach coming along, not to mention the celery, potatoes, garlic, onions, chives, cabbage, radishes, beetroot, parsley, uneradicable roquette, sage, rosemary, mint and dill - and I just found that some of that old carrot seed I threw on the garden and despaired of has taken too, for there are tiny baby carrot tops appearing between the garlics.

My thesis, fortunately, resembles the silverbeets, and not the carrots. It is complete, save for some minor editing and a few summaries of critical opinions on debatable points to go in footnotes - which is fortunate, as it's due Friday week.

This leaves me free to ponder the baby carrots of my next essay, for Mediaeval Representations (the course taken by my supervisor, over at humanities researcher). I believe it will be about the uses of speech and the voice in Troilus and Criseyde, which will allow me to use most of the interesting Canterbury Tales for comparative purposes! 5000 words of (doubtless) "bothe blysse and blunder".

2 comments:

Jules Frusher said...

Oh well done!!! On both the garden and the thesis! I planted some veggies this year too but it has just been so wet again and the slugs got most of them. Then there were the onions that turned out to be salad onions! At least the tomatoes were ok ;-)

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

Tomatoes are very important! It's about time to plant those, but since I don't know if I'll be staying in this house past Christmas I'm sort of reluctant to plant anything big...